Thursday, July 12, 2012

Book Club Update: Outlander

So I am just about half way into Outlander by Diana Gabaldon and I have to say that it is a very different read from Hunger Games and Divergent. Which makes sense when I have switched from books written for young adults to an adult novel. The print is smaller and the chapters are longer making this book harder to get through and it is not something I can read within a few days or a week. This one is also slow to start and if you are an antsy reader I would not recommend it because it takes some patience to get to the “good parts.” The Outlander does not have me on the edge of my seat but I am excited to read it and I do enjoy that it is an unpredictable read.
Cari did not like how slow it was so she started Graceling by Kirstin Cashore and she told me that she is enjoying it.
This is my little synopsis of Outlander so far:
                A married English nurse is living in the Highlands of Scotland when she and her husband spy on “witches” who gather at sunrise at an odd stone circle onto a hill. After witnessing the bizarre dancing the woman goes back to look for a flower she spotted while spying on the ceremony of the witches and is pulled back in time through one of the mysterious stones and falls right into the middle of a small battle between clansmen and English soldiers. She is then kidnapped by these clansmen and is suspected as an English spy and is held. She struggles to figure out how she can make it back to the stone circle and hopefully return to her own time but is conflicted with an unexpected love interest confuses everything.
I do not want to give too much away but I would recommend this book. Not amazing but not terrible either. It is a nice casual read.

No comments:

Post a Comment